[ENDORSEMENT RESULTS] from 9/4’s MGO Democratic Club’s 2014 General Election Candidates Forum Series on Local & State Measures
[ ENDORSEMENT RESULTS ] from 9/4’s MGO Democratic Club’s 2014 General Election Candidates Forum Series on Local & State Measures:
Alameda County Measure
- Measure BB (Transportation Sales Tax) – Yes
City of Oakland Measures
- Measure N (OUSD Parcel Tax) – No Position
- Measure Z (Public Safety & Service) – No
- Measure CC (Public Ethics) – Yes
- Measure DD (Redistricting) – Yes
- Measure EE (OMERS Pension Modification) – Yes
- Measure FF (Minimum Wage) – Yes
- Prop 1 (State Water Bond) – No
- Prop 2 (Rainy Day Fund – State Budget Reserves) – Yes
- Prop 45 (Health Insurance Rate Changes) – Yes
- Prop 46 (Medi-Cal Malpractice Lawsuits Cap & Drug Testing) – No Position
- Prop 47 – Safe Neighborhoods & Schools Act) – Yes
- Prop 48 -(Indian Gaming Compacts Referendum) – No
[ PICS ] from 9/4’s MGO Democratic Club’s 2014 General Election Candidates Forum Series on Local & State Measures:
Photos by The Olive Street Agency
City of Oakland
- City Attorney: Barbara Parker
- City Council, At Large: Rebecca Kaplan
- City Council, District 1: Dan Kalb
- City Council, District 3: Club declined to endorse
- City Council, District 5: Mario Juarez
- City Council, District 7: Club declined to endorse any candidate
Peralta Community Colleges:
- Peralta CC Trustee, Area 1, Club declined to endorse any candidate
- Peralta CC Trustee, Area 2, Meredith Elayne Brown
- Peralta CC Trustee, Area 4, Nicky Gonzalez Yuen
- Peralta CC Trustee, Area 6, Cy Gulassa
Oakland School Board:
- Oakland School Board, District 1, Jody London
- Oakland School Board, District 3, Richard Fuentes
- Oakland School Board, District 5, Club declined to endorse any candidate
- Oakland School Board, District 7, Club declined to endorse any candidate
- AC Transit Director, At Large, Chris Peeples
- AC Transit Director, Ward 2, Greg Harper
East Bay Municipal Utility District:
- EBMUD Director, Ward 5, Doug Linney
- EBMUD Director, Ward 6, William “Bill” Patterson
East Bay Regional Park District:
- East Bay Regional Parks, Ward 2, John Sutter
- East Bay Regional Parks, Ward 4, Doug Siden
Bay Area Rapid Transit:
- Bart Director, District 3, Rebecca Saltzman
- Bart Director, District 7, Zakhary Mallett
- Measure A1, Oakland Zoo Parcel Tax, YES
- Measure J, Oakland Schools Parcel Tax, YES
- Proposition 30, Taxes: Jerry Brown’s Tax Increase, YES
- Proposition 31, State budget: Two-Year Budget Cycle, NO
- Proposition 32, Labor: Ban on corporate and union contributions to state and local candidates, NO
- Proposition 33, Insurance: Car insurance rates can be based on a person’s history of insurance coverage, NO
- Proposition 34, Death penalty: “End the Death Penalty”, YES
- Proposition 35, Law enforcement: Prohibition on Human Trafficking and Sex Slavery, Club declined to endorse either position
- Proposition 36, Law enforcement: Repeal of the “Three Strikes” Law, YES
- Proposition 37, Regulations: Mandatory Labeling of Genetically Engineered Food, YES
- Proposition 38, Taxes: Molly Munger’s State Income Tax Increase, Club declined to endorse either position
- Proposition 39, Taxes: Income Tax Increase for Multistate Businesses, YES
- Proposition 40, Redistricting: Referendum on the State Senate Redistricting Plan, YES
MGO is proud to endorse:
- 18th Assembly District, Abel Guillen
- Superior Court Judge: Tara Flanagan
- Alameda County Supervisor, District 4: Nate Miley
- Alameda County Supervisor, District 5: Keith Carson
- Prop 28 – Change Term Limits: Support
- Prop 29 – 5 cent sales tax: Support
- Measure B – Peralta Parcel Tax: Support
15th AD Central Committee, (the following candidates received 60% or greater):
- Jesse Arrequin
- Sharon Ball
- Elizabeth Echols
- Beverly Green
- Kathy Neal
For the 18th AD Central Committee, because of problems with the ballot, we will re-vote on the endorsements by mail. Those members who are currently paid in full, will receive ballots and instructions with their Platform newsletter, along with a stamped return envelope. We apologize to all for the problems with the ballot, but we believe that this measure is the fairest way to determine our endorsements for the office.
Further, we will take the opportunity with the mail-in ballot to vote on endorsements for Assembly, State Senator, and other offices.
Thursday, April 19th, 6:30 PM
3365 Fruitvale Avenue
No new club member can vote unless he or she has been a member for at least 20 days. (MGO Const., Art. III, sec.3.)
This rule does not apply to lapsed memberships not more than two years in arrears. Those persons are eligible to vote immediately upon payment of their dues.
Our March meeting will be on Thursday, March 29 at the Dimond Library,
at 7:30 p.m.
This will be our endorsement meeting for:
State Assembly, District 18.
it is hoped that Abel Guillen will be able to send a representative.
Go here to see Assembly District 18 boundaries.
The MGO Democratic Club has made the following ballot measure voting endorsements for the Nov. 15th mail-in election in Oakland:
Shall the Oakland City Charter be amended to return the City Attorney to an appointed position?YES – Measure I (needs 2/3 vote)
Shall the City of Oakland establish a five year temporary fiscal emergency parcel tax to preserve essential city services, including fire, police services, and police technology, youth violence prevention, library, services, parks and recreation, and street repair, by establishing an $80 parcel tax for single-family homes and specified amounts for multi-family and commercial properties with an exemption for low-income households?
YES- Measure J
Shall the Charter be amended to allow the City of Oakland to change the deadline for fully funding its Police and Fire Retirement Plan to a new financially responsible deadline?
From Joe Trapp, Club President:
First, I want to thank all of those who attended and voted, and all of the candidates who came to speak.
Five members of our Executive Board met tonight and counted all of the ballots, following our ranked choice voting procedures.
By the Club’s Bylaws, we do not release the actual vote tallies.
Here are the results for September 30th, 2010:
- Oakland Mayor – No candidate received 60% of the votes, therefore no candidate receives the Club endorsement.
- Oakland City Auditor – The Club endorses Courtney Ruby.
- Oakland City Council, District 4 – No candidate received 60% of the votes, therefore no candidate receives the Club endorsement.
- Oakland Unified School District District 4 – The Club endorses Gary Yee.
- Peralta Community College District Trustee District 3 – No candidate received 60% of the votes, therefore no candidate receives the Club endorsement.
- Peralta Community College District Trustee District 5 – The Club endorses Willam Riley.